Sunday, July 6, 2008

A short introduction

Well, first thing you should know about me, just to get it out of the way, is that I'm Unschooled. In case you don't know what that means (and don't feel like looking it up on Wiki), I'll tell you. I teach myself. Yes, you didn't read that wrong. Of course, I don't do it all alone. I'm greatly assisted by numerous books, my parents when I ask them to, and most importantly, the world around me. Haven't you ever noticed that the things that seem to help you most in everyday life were not learned from a textbook? Life is rich. There are so many things around you to discover. Why would I want to spend my time cramped up in a dull classroom looking out the window and longing for fresh air, for sunlight and swing sets and gardens, butterflies, forests, good novels, and interesting conversations... All those things seem to be in short supply in your average high school, from all that I've heard.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I will move on to tell you what the main purpose of this blog is. I'm going to try very hard to write here every single day, detailing what things I did that I learned from. Whether it's an interesting conversation with a friend on world politics, watching ants collect food, writing poetry, or anything else rewarding I can come up with. This is mainly for my benefit and enjoyment, but you're more than welcome to read along as well.

Oh, just one more thing. I highly reccomend that if you want to learn more about unschooling, you check out the marvelously inspiring book entitled The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education by Grace Llewellyn. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...