Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Idzie's Ins and Outs going into 2009

You know how in pop-culture magazines (I only ever read those when my grandma finishes hers and passes them on to me. Honest!) they have an "In and Out" feature thingy for each new season (and possibly each new year... I haven't really payed attention to that)? Well, I thought it would be fun to have my own Ins and Outs, things I've personally changed or gotten rid of in my lifestyle, the types of clothes I'm currently wearing, as we head into the year 2009. So here goes!

Fashion and style
Clothes

(Still*)In:
Mini skirts worn over jeans
Scarves!*
Anything plaid
Hats of all styles (well, not all styles, but a lot :-P)
Vintage fabrics/clothing (that look vintage, not just secondhand that looks new)
Floufy hippie style shirts
Arm warmers/hand thingies
Leg warmers
Emo holes in hoodies
PURPLE!!

Out:
Camouflage patterns
Anything remotely preppy or gangsta

Other

(Still*)In:
All natural hair products
Shea butter soap*
Perfume oil
Shea butter lip balm*
Organic, all natural hand cream
Hair dye! Especially purple

Out:
Make up
Lipsil
Regular hand cream
Anything with parabens (toxic chemical used as a preservative in TONS of health and beauty products)

Entertainment (books, music, movies)

Books

(Still*)In:
Anything by Derrick Jensen
Books on unschooling
The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn
Nation by Terry Pratchett
Hero by Perry Moore
Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
The Coyote Road

Out:
Books never go out of style!

Music

(Still*)In:
Led Zeppelin*
Ayreon!
Rise Against
More political music, including punk and folk
Progressive metal
Folk metal
Folk

Out:
POP
Hip-hop
Rap

Movies

(Still*)In:
Everything Is Illuminated
Driving Lessons
Juno
27 Dresses
The Dark Knight (sort of. I mean, it wasn't as amazing as everyone thouhgt IMO, but the Joker was frickin' cool!)

Out:
Dumb action movies that they love to play at cadet events (yay!)

Lifestyle


(Still*)In:
Vegetarianism!* :-)

Veganism
Buying mostly secondhand clothes
Walking in the woods
Spending lots of time with my family
Walking around in the dead of night...

Out:
Trying to fit in
Conformity

Political opinions/worldview

(Still*)In:
Anarchism
Anti/beyond-civilizationism
Animal rights
Environmentalism
Human rights

Out:
Government
Politics
Corporations and their products
Faith in all of the above

Hobbies

(Still*)In:
Photography!
Writing poetry*
Blogging!
Talking a ton about the things I believe in

Out:
Cadets!


I think that's about all I can think of for now... I look forward to the new year, and to all it has to offer. I plan on exercising more (I'm a terrible couch potato), and finding some new activities to fill the void left by Cadets. I hope to see greater social change, and more realization that government is not and never will be the solution. I hope to see tons of dialogue between diverse people, all trying to come up with solutions for issues of climate change, corporate control, and human and non-human rights. A lot to wish for, but hey, that's what a new year is for!

Wishing everyone the best in the coming year and beyond,

Peace,
Idzie

3 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. I might have to steal it! :-)

    Congrats on the new camera! Maybe it's time for a 365 blog now...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I might steal this too as my blog is very neglected at the moment.

    I just watched Driving Lessons yesterday and Juno the day before! Isn't that strange? They are both awesome movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Grins* Steal away! I look forward to reading it...

    I've thought of doing the 365 blog thing, but I already have too many blogs, so I'm not so sure it's a good idea to start another one... I probably will eventually though, since I love the idea!

    lol That is funny Stella! :-P They are awesome movies... You might also like Everything Is Illuminated. It's quirky and funny and sweet yet also very sad... A very good movie though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...