Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One very well written novel


It feels like it's been a long time since I cried over a novel. And I am, as some would say, rather emotionally sensitive. But when a book or movie is good, or even if it's simply good at capturing that one moment, I genuinely believe in the characters. To me, at least for that moment, they're real. And so I feel the story as if it was happening to friends of mine, people I know and care about. The book I just finished is called Nation, and it's by Terry Pratchett. Now Terry Pratchett is one of my, if not my absolute, favorite authors. His books are marvelous, funny, and almost all of them leave you really thinking... Now Nation is a bit different from his usual fare. It's still marvelous, funny, and makes you think of course, but unlike most of his books (the Discworld series especially), the humor is far more toned down and subtle, and it truly has you pondering life throughout the book. A coming of age story in it's most beautiful form, Nation tells the the story of Mau and Daphne, two young people who survive when all those around them perish in a tidal wave, and must together make a new world. It certainly is funny in places, the writing style is slightly quirky with the unmistakle Prachett-esque touch his fans know so well, with even quirkier characters, but the overall tone is one of grief, questioning, doubting, seeking answers... And as in most good books, books you truly believe in, there are no Happy Ever Afters. I absolutely LOVED the character of Mau, and my heart aches for him, as well as Daphne, even now that I've finished the book. I'm tired, and I hope I'm making sense, but just in case I'm not I'll summarize. Nation is a great book. Read it.

Peace,
Idzie

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. Is it something like Potato People?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew what the Potato People were, I could answer that. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...