Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Poetry

I love poetry. I have for a very long time. From the time I was little my mom would read to my sister and I. She'd read EVERYTHING! Fiction, poetry, the newspaper... So before I was even reading books more advanced then readers on my own, I was writing poetry. Soon, I was reading and memorizing poetry. When I was eight or nine I memorized all of The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, and wowed all of the parents when I recited it at a homeschooling talent show. :-P Last night, my mom and I got talking, and I wondered if I could still recite The Highwayman. I got most of the way through before I stumbled, so pulled out one of my poetry books to see where I was going wrong. And once I had a poetry book in my hands, of course I couldn't read just one! I read all of The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, which in my opinion is a great read aloud poem with a really cool rhythm to it, and The Solitary Reaper by William Wordsworth. The verse:

"What'er the theme, the maiden sang
As if her song could have no ending;
I saw her singing at her work,
And o'er the sickle bending;
I listened, motionless and still;
And as I mounted up the the hill,
The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more."

Is truly beautiful, as far as I'm concerned. I also discovered I still know Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost perfectly. "Whose woods these are I think I know, his house is in the village though"... By the time I got to bed, it was 3:00 am!

I also wrote a new poem last night, which can be found on my poetry blog as usual. When I read the masters, my poetry just looks so awful in comparison...

Oh, and yesterday my mom cleaned out a drawer, and of course my cat thought that the empty hole created by the lack of a drawer was the perfect place to hang out in. Minni is just so darned cute and lovable! :-)



Peace,
Idzie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Idzie, I am a mom to two kids who learn without school and I found you through my friend, Ren at her blog. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and thoughts on literature. You are an interesting kid and I appreciate you letting people have a peek inside your thoughts. As a mom, I have so many worries that my kids are missing out by being at home, but then I run into kids like you ... self assured, knowledgeable, thoughtful, guided by your own voice, and I know this is great. Unschooling has been letting go, I constantly let go and see the beauty of my children grow as it needs to, not as someone else says it needs to. jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for such a nice comment! Reading that made me very happy. :-) I'm very glad you enjoyed reading some of my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poe is a great writer!! Some of his stuff is supposedly cryptic. I know one has an acrostic of a woman he once loved. Have you ever read Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis? Its a great book that is quite amusing and entertaining especially if you like cats.

    You mentioned in another post that you like etsy shops-- here is the link to a shop that belongs to one of my friends. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6031762

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poe is cool! Though I haven't read as much as I want by him... It always seems there are a million different things to read competing for my attention, so it takes a while to get to them all... No, I've never heard of Archy and Mehitabel...

    Thanks for the link! They have some really nice stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...