Thursday, January 22, 2009

100th post, pro-choice, and travel

First off, WOO HOO! This post marks my 100th post for this blog. It seems just yesterday that I reached the 50 post mark!

Secondly, I just read a blog post that states that today is Blog For Choice day. Now, I don't want to blog on the official topic (What is your top pro-choice hope for President Obama and/or the new Congress?), but I figured I would blog about my opinions on the issue. I am pro-choice. Most definitely. If a woman is raped, or even if birth control fails, and she gets pregnant, she has every right to choose whether or not she actually has the baby. Not just for the mother's sake, but also for the baby. I don't think this world needs any more unwanted children. That said, I don't think abortion should be used as a method of birth control either. Birth control was invented for a reason, and should be used! Oh, and I also have a problem with the term "pro-life". I saw a video I really liked on pro-choice stuff, and I really like that he commented that to be truly "pro-life", you also need to be anti-war and vegetarian. I'd add to that, and say to be truly "pro life", you can't own a computer (who's manufacture causes women in Thailand to die of cancer), or use paper products (which kill forests and all those who dwell in them, including non-humans and indigenous peoples), or do any one of the nearly endless list of things we do in this culture that causes death. Say you're anti-abortion, but saying "pro-life" really doesn't work, in my opinion.

In other news, I looked up tons of stuff on travel today. I still have the tourist sites up for Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Greece, and France. I also ordered travel guides for British Columbia, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Yukon, and New Mexico. Now I have to wait excitedly until they arrive in the mail! :-D

I haven't really posted pictures on this blog in a while, although I have been updating my photo blog pretty regularly, so I'll post a few that I took today.


Our lovely old Flora, aka Foo Foo, aka Flora Bean


Beautiful Minni, aka Minnikins, aka Minni Minou

Sweet Henry, aka Hempers, aka Hempsicord, aka Henny


The wood stove, burning brightly


Lovable Winston, aka Boo Boo, aka Winduffy, aka Winduffers, aka Windy

Yes, I take too many pictures of my minnikins ♥, but I can't help myself!




And by the way, I'm keeping track (sort of) of the things I'm doing this week, so on Monday I should have a Week in the Life of an Unschooler post up!

Peace,
Idzie

6 comments:

  1. Well, I must say, I'm pro-life. I understand your worries over the term, but I have my own qualms with the term 'pro-choice', too. I believe in choice, but I also believe that people should make the right choice. In my opinion, the right choice is never to kill something, much less a human being, and I do believe that a fetus is a human being, no matter how tiny. It's the one side of the hippie/open-mindedness movement that I am against. Life is life, whether wanted by the birthmother or not. There are a WHOLE lot of people who want those kids, and then we have this stupid system called 'social services' that won't let the people who need/want the kids have them. It makes me so angry.

    But not angry at you. Maybe you'll come around. :-D *hug*

    Good post though. Well thought out. :-)

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, personally, would never have an abortion. Apart from the fact that I've always wanted my own babies, I know that I would regret such a decision for the rest of my life. But, as I said, I am pro-choice. Especially in cases of rape, I really understand why someone would get an abortion. However, it really bothers me when I hear about women who have had more than one abortion. If you make a mistake once, well, it can be fixed. But to do it again seems simply careless to me.

    It is life, but in the early weeks, I don't really feel like it's a human yet. All young fetuses from all animals, humans included, look the same. It seems to me that a fetus that young is life, yes, but similar to an egg in that it's not yet an actual individual. Simply potential.

    I do agree with you that 'social services' are AWFUL. It seems they make things so much harder than necessary.

    Heh, I'm afraid that I'm going to stay pro-choice. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell a woman she has to carry a baby if she doesn't want to. However, I think instead of everyone, both "pro-life" and "pro-choice", fussing over abortion, they should both be focusing on education about birth control instead. It seems to me that would be a very good idea.

    And I'm glad we can have this discussion and not be angry with each other! Diversity of opinion is what makes the world go 'round. ;-)

    Hugs,
    Idzie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. I love being able to disagree with people and still maintain a relationship. :-)

    I understand the sentiment that women shouldn't have to carry a baby they don't want, but I feel it's about not only the Mum's life, but the child's as well. So yes, it's an agree to disagree situation. That's okay. :-)

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you post a bunch of photos of your animals, and then right in the middle are the photos of the woodstove. Awesome. In a very random way. But none the less, awesome. Infact, probably more awesome given the random-ness scale.

    Lately I've been debating if it's possible to be pro-life and pro-choice at the same time. Because that's what I currently seem to be. Hmmmm.....I think the name for this stance is also called "indesicive"......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Idzie.
    I don't think I could ever have an abortion but I am definitely pro-choice.

    why are cats so photographable? my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. because they are cats.
    as far as the whole pro-choice-life goes, I agree with you about the term, I am a vegetarian, and undecided, which is how it will stay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...