Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Starting an unschooling group in our area!

When we were away at the UWWG, my mom attended both of Kelly Lovejoy's talks. One of them was a kind of 'ask Kelly anything' one, and my mother brought up the issue of finding an unschooling community. My mom said how as far as we know, there are virtually no unschoolers in our area! Kelly's response: "Montreal?? There's tons of unschoolers there! Start a group, and I guarantee you'll have at least 30 family's". Well, what could we say to that? So we're starting a Montreal unschooling group! It may not be a success, but at least we'll know we tried. :-)

So for now, we're simply gathering info. Finding what other people did/do with their groups, thinking of how we can publicize it, what activities to do, where to meet... If anyone has experience with an unschooling group, or even if you have no experience but ideas, I'd love to hear them! :-D

I'm very excited about this, and hoping it works out. :-)

Peace,
Idzie

P.S. I'm still looking for unschooling articles for Homeschooling Horizons! If ANYONE who unschools is interested in writing something, I'd love to know! Thanks a bunch. :-D

10 comments:

  1. Exciting!

    I am a friend of Sheila's, and sometimes I check by your blog to see what's new. I am not unschooled, but I can really feel the excitement in your post, so I'm excited for you! Good luck with your group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! :-D I'm really hoping it works out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is exciting!!! I wish we had more young people in this area!

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. We may have young people, but I'm not sure if we have young people who are unschooled... Well, we'll see! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Idzie,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment about deodorant! I also do an unschooling blog http://borntolearnfreetolearn.blogspot.com/
    What a fabulous blog you have. I can't wait to read more. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy: Thanks! :-) Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your new group! Found you browsing around. Nice writing. We unschooled with my daughter for 21 years...still are really. You can see a bit of what she's up to now at http://yawantapeanut.blogspot.com. I'll be back to see what you're up to! Once you've been free to learn...I find I always gravitate toward those folks that have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda: Thanks for checking out my blog! :-) I love reading about other unschoolers (and I agree, you never really stop unschooling!). It makes me happy that there are now so many of us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey. Good for you guys to be reaching out and gathering up people! That's what I've been trying to do here in Pittsburgh.

    Hey, I added a lengthy comment on my last post after you commented...you might like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Idzie, just found and am loving your blog (and vlogs). We just started having an unschooler park day here (outside of new orleans) and have on avg abt 8-10 families. We meet at the local state park which has a great natural beach, large pond, hiking trails, pier, nature programs, camping and much more. I'm very interested in hearing more about the unschooling resource ctr or free school for teens that you are looking at in your area. the main thing I'm wondering right now is how they financed the building...did they figure out a way to secure grant money? I'd love to pursue something like that here. My daughter (always unschooled Emma) is only 9 1/2 but I'd love to get something like this in place that would grow and thrive for her now and especially be a resource for her and others here as they enter their teen years. I think it would be a wounderful resource for them and I'm thinking ahead :) thanks for any tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...