Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Handful of Words

Some new additions to my Quotes page...

"I wonder why so many parents still want to keep their children hidden away in schools, when they could be learning in the wonderful, bright, ever-changing, always-stimulating real world."  Wendy Priesnitz

"To confuse compulsory schooling with equal educational opportunity is like confusing organized religion with spirituality. One does not necessarily lead to the other. Schooling confuses teaching with learning, grade advancement with education, a diploma with competence, and fluency with the ability to say something new." Wendy Priesnitz

"The condition of alienation, of being asleep, of being unconscious, of being out of one's mind, is the condition of the normal man. Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal." R.D. Laing

“Your life, time, and brain should belong to you, not to an institution.” Grace Llewellyn

“I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.”  Eartha Kitt

"I realize that if I wait until I am no longer afraid to act, write, speak, be, I'll be sending messages on a ouija board, cryptic complaints from the other side." Audre Lorde

"The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing it have names and addresses." Utah Philips

Peace,
Idzie

10 comments:

  1. Love Wendy's second quote in particular, especially the analogy of religion vs. spirituality. Apt & descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these! I am always looking for good quotes to share on my facebook page! I will be borrowing a few! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Idzie! Great quotes.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the Jon Stewart's interview with Spencer Wells- his book sounds a lot like (considerably toned-down) anti-civilizationism. It's in the third part of this episode: http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-june-9-2010-spencer-wells

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that unschooling to schooling is like what atheism/agnosticism (at least semantically) is to organised religion- in that I found a whole paradise of spirituality lies outside of the institution. Of course, a lot of atheists are passive and shun 'spirituality' as fluffy bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find the good stuff. Thanks for making it so easy for me.

    BTW, Which D. Jensen book would you recommend starting with, do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Unschool: Yeah, same here! Loved that comparison.

    @Jacque: I'm glad you like them! :-)

    @Anonymous: Thanks for directing me toward that clip, definitely interesting! A couple of times recently on mainstream shows there have been people who question civilization (or important aspects of it) and cast a more positive and realistic light on early humankind and tribal peoples (I'm thinking of a guy who advocates a paleo diet who was on the Colbert Report a couple months ago). Hearing people on TV talking about things like how health and lifespan actually went down with the agricultural revolution makes me happy. More people need to hear about and question what they've always taken for granted about civilization! In terms of his actual thoughts? He seems to have some interesting things to say, and I might be interested in looking into his book...

    @Primavera: I've never really thought of it that way, simply because most of the atheists I've come across have very traditional views when it comes to school, and, as you say, often scorn any and every type of spirituality! I personally think that individualized spirituality versus organized religion is a good comparison to unschooling versus school... Anyway, interesting thoughts. :-)

    @Andrea: I'm glad you like it! :-) And it's cool you're interested in reading Jensen! Well, I'd say my favorite is probably The culture of Make Believe, because that was the first anti-civ book I ever read and it really made me question a lot of things I'd never even thought about before. But I'm not really sure that's his *best* book, or if I just like it better because of that! But definitely either that book or Endgame (Endgame is separated into two volumes, but is basically one book), which repeats some of the stuff said in Culture, but is basically Jensen's entire argument against civilization. Anyway, hope that helps you in picking out which one to read! Oh, and in terms of books on education, his book Walking on Water is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Idzie, I was having a hard time making a decision. I will let you know what I pick and what I think! Endgame seemed a bit lengthy to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your quotes! I have a utah phillips quote on my facebook profile. I hope you are doing well.
    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...