Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Want to Contribute to this Blog? I'm Looking for Guest Posts!

You know how I've been talking about writing a book, or a zine, or an eBook, for a very long time now?  Well, I keep starting, then deciding it's crap and starting afresh, then deciding that one is crap too, then re-writing part of it, then starting another one...  Basically, I haven't been very productive when it comes to writing a book or even a zine.  So about a week ago, with November and thus NaNoWriMo coming up, I started thinking hey, why don't I just basically do NaNoWriMo (in that I'm aiming for 50,000 words by the end of November, 1,667 words a day), only write my book about unschooling instead of a novel?  Because I'll be writing lots this month, and won't really be able to write much on this blog, I figure this is a good opportunity to solicit some guest posts I've been wanting to get for a while now!  Here are the subjects I'm looking for:
  • Rising Out of High School. Making the decision, convincing parents, dealing with school staff, how friends react, making the transition/deschooling, etc. I think this is a super important subject, but one I'm not qualified to write about. I fairly regularly get emails from teens in high school who really want to get out, but don't really know how, and I just feel helpless because I have no clue what advice to give!  But I know that there are riseouts who read this blog, and I know that your story would be MUCH appreciated by many people!!
  • Unschooling and Marginalization/Unschooling and Privilege.  I'm not really sure that's a good title at all, but basically what I'm trying to do here is make some space for narratives about unschooling that you don't usually see.  The most common unschooling narrative is that of a middle class, white, able-bodied, nuclear family.  When you go to unschooling conferences, they're mostly populated by middle class white people.  So what I'm looking for is people to write about why they think that is; the intersection of unschooling and class, race, physical ability, sexuality, gender; and the lived reality of unschooling when you're not middle class, not white, not straight, etc.
  • Unschooling Internationally.  No, I'm not talking about travel.  I feel like there's already lots of interesting stuff out there on that!  What I'm interested in is posts about unschooling in countries outside of North America.  What's it like unschooling in Mexico?  Ireland?  Romania?  India?  I'm looking for stories of people from the country they're writing about please, not ex-pats.
And I think that's it for now!  If you'd be interested in writing an article on any of those subjects, or a combination of any of the above subjects, please email me at unschooledwriter@gmail.com.  If at all possible, I'd like to receive your finished posts during November (though contact me before writing anything to discuss details, please!), so that there can be interesting content here during this month, but if that's not possible, I'm still interested in having your posts at a later date!

4 comments:

  1. Kind of curious if I'd be candidate for your second topic. We are a white family, but we currently live under the poverty line. Its definitely a whole different world, from some of the unschooling friends I have. We definitely can't jet off to the Children's Museum when we want. We rely on birthdays/gift-giving holidays for supplies, or rely on me being able to make them for my son. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in discussing why the white, middle class unschool, or even homeschool at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Crunchy Mommy: You'd definitely be a candidate for that!! I'm very interested in sharing the stories and perspectives of working class and poor unschooling families. Send me an email at unschooledwriter@gmail.com and we can figure out the details. :-)

    @bugsboysandbooboos: Cool! Send me an email at unschooledwriter@gmail.com and we can discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to write about rising out, but I'm also doing NaNoWriMo. Actually I'm procrastinating doing NaNoWriMo. Maybe I could do a post after all... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...