Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thoughts on NBTSC

I leave for Not Back to School Camp on Saturday!! My feelings on going are really mixed, and honestly, right now, I'm not really looking forward to it.

Last year was my first time at NBTSC, and I really didn't have as good a time as I could have... I found being in such a large, high energy group with no one whom I knew well to be incredibly stressful, and then I got a nasty cold on top of that. I wrote very honestly of my experiences last year here if you want to check it out. Come late Winter, however, I really wanted to do it right. To actually be more social, and really get all that I could get out of being with a large group of unschoolers! However, about a month ago, basically when I realized NBTSC was so close, I started feeling that it really wasn't right for me, for where I am in life right now. Now, I don't really feel that I do know what's *right* for me right now, and as a wise friend pointed out, perhaps I'll discover that at NBTSC! Then of course there's also the issue of sleeping outside in two walled cabins in the cold September nights of Vermont, the open air showers, and the outhouses, none of which make me terribly happy. I like camping usually, and don't fuss about stuff like that, but I'm having a hard enough time adjusting to the fact that Fall is here after a ridiculously short Summer, and I'm really not enjoying the colder weather, so the thought of being dumped outside in the cold makes me grumpy! :-P

Complaints about small things aside, I'm a very different person from the one I was last year. I notice it, and the people who've known me a while notice it even more! So I'm sure that my experience this year will be very different from last year. Whether it'll be positive, negative, or mixed, I do not know. I just know that it'll be different!

Moving on to something different, and totally wrecking the flow of this post, I realized that I don't think I ever actually announced that I have a Twitter account. I kind of snuck it into the links on the sidebar, but who reads those anyway? So, my point being, I have a Twitter account, so if you want to connect with me there, that's great! :-)

There are also a couple of cool things going down, but I'll save writing about those for another post...

Peace,
Idzie

6 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes well in NBTSC. From reading last year's post, bad as it was for you, it's still worth the experience.

    I read your sidebars! Why not? You have interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Idzie,
    -hugs- I'm sorry to hear that your feeling apprehensive about NBTSC, but if you ever need someone to talk to at camp (or before or after) about anything at all PLEASE come and talk me even if you feel like you don't know me that well and it would be weird I promise it won't be, I'm a good listener and believe it or not I understand the plite of the shy as I was when I was younger. Basically the point of this post is to let you know that I'm here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Netzi: Thanks! I hope it will too! And I'm glad that at least one person reads the sidebar. :-P

    @Laura: Thank you muchly!! That is a very kind offer, and one I greatly appreciate. :-) I'm not really feeling apprehensive, though... After a couple conferences and getting to know people online and stuff, I have friends who are going to be there. :-) I just feel like camp is almost a sidetrack right now... Like I want to be figuring things out here, but instead am going off to be cold for a week. :-P I am, however, looking forward to seeing people! And hopefully we'll get a chance to hang out this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I see what you mean!
    and yes definitely we should hang out this year.

    anyway I'm offer stands :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give the same offer as Laura, in fact we make really great team for cheering people up! <3

    I'm very excited to see you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you're NBTSC experience this year will be good different! and you're right about the sumer being very ridiculously short this year... although it doesn't feel like it where I live... we have the air conditioning going and people are walking around in shorts still lol.

    *Hugs*
    rochelley

    ReplyDelete